[CLUE-Tech] groups

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Tue Apr 30 16:49:37 MDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 04:22:52PM -0600, Mike Staver wrote:

> I'm ok.  My only question remains then - how do I give ownership of a
> file or directory to a group and not an individual?

You can't really give *ownership* to a group. Every file belongs primarily
to a user and secondarily to a group. If what you're trying to do is
assign ownership to anyone who has a particular *role* in the system,
say 'guest' or 'cool_privileged_dude', then you have to have a user
account representing that role.

  I have used the
> following command on a directory:
>
> chgrp ftpguys /home/ftp_files

That affects only the directory. If you want to assign permissions on
files in that directory, you need to do

  chgrp ftpguys /home/ftp_files/*

or if there are subdirectories you also want to work on:

  chgrp -R ftpguys /home/ftp_files  # -R for 'recursive'

> Yet, when I ftp in as one of these accounts, I don't have read/write
> permissions in the directory I want.  Am I missing something?

There could be an FTP configuration issue here, too. I'm not much good
with that myself -- I've only ever used FTP anonymously and under my
regular user name.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA