[CLUE-Tech] Alpha Redux

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Tue Apr 30 23:42:19 MDT 2002

>Also: Did anyone install RH on theirs, and what did you boot from? I've not
>been able to boot and then install from either CD or floppy. If I try to
>boot from CD, I get errors and it basically can't load image. From floppy, I
>get either an error from anaconda, or else anaconda just hangs (the point at
>which this happens varies).

Well, I did get Red Hat to boot from CD eventually.  I will warn you, it
did take some time.  I too got errors when trying, but I tried it around
5 times before it took.  Personally, I think these alpha cpus are
overheating.  If I turn mine off for a while, and then turn it back on,
I think it has a chance to cool, probably minimizing your risk for
getting errors when loading the image.  Then again, I could be wrong -
and the ram could be bad, or the cdrom, you name it.  Once I got Red Hat
installed, it seems to run fine.  Shutting down and restarting the box
every now and then causes some strange stuff to scroll down the screen,
but other than that, my alpha seems to be running fine once I got past
the installation.  Too bad Red Hat won't be putting together any of
their new releases for alpha :(

--

                                -Mike Staver
                                 staver at fimble.com