[CLUE-Tech] Mail sending issue

Jeremiah Stanley lists at miah.org
Thu Aug 1 09:31:52 MDT 2002

I have an old roommate that I gave out an email address to when I had a
static IP and could run my own mail server. But, since I moved back into
the eGhetto of Arvada I can no longer run it and have to use another ISP
to serve my website and email.

I want to be able to forward all of his mail (that I aliased his old
addresses to mine at the ISP so his mail comes to me) using procmail
filters to push the his mail to him. But I've run into a snag.

:0:
* ^TO(jason at miah\.org|bhladow at miah\.org)
! him at someotherdomain.com

This works great except for the sending of the mail part. Most
mailservers that I've tried this on have enabled the feature that they
won't deliver mail that doesn't have a returnable From: address. This is
good because it cuts down on spam and such. When my local machine
(curly) which sits behind my firewall with a modem (larry) tries to run
this filter it tries to send out the message from the address
miah at localhost.localdomain and this is undeliverable so mail servers
barf a 554 back at me.

I don't know if this is a procmail problem or how I would set the
address that the mail emits from. Would it just be easier to use formail
to push his mail to him once I filtered it?

Thx,
JStanley