[CLUE-Tech] Re: TechMail sending issue

Matt Armstrong matt at lickey.com
Thu Aug 1 10:55:56 MDT 2002

Jeremiah Stanley <lists at miah.org> writes:

[...]

> :0:
> * ^TO(jason at miah\.org|bhladow at miah\.org)
> ! him at someotherdomain.com

[...]

> good because it cuts down on spam and such. When my local machine
> (curly) which sits behind my firewall with a modem (larry) tries to
> run this filter it tries to send out the message from the address
> miah at localhost.localdomain and this is undeliverable so mail servers
> barf a 554 back at me.

You have to fix the configuration of your SMTP program (exim,
sendmail, postfix, qmail, ...) such that it uses the right domain
name.  This isn't a procmail issue.

When procmail forwards mail, it just does so via /usr/sbin/sendmail.
The envelope sender is going to be you, but your SMTP program doesn't
know its own domain name so it tacks on localhost.localdomain.

Configuring a traditional SMTP program like this can be a real pain,
since they are designed for permanently connected hosts.  If I ever
revert back to dialup, I'm going to see if
http://innominate.org/kurth/masqmail/ makes things easier.