[CLUE-Tech] GCC versions

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Thu Aug 1 18:09:41 MDT 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 17:37:47 -0600 Matt Gushee <mgushee at havenrock.com>
wrote:
> Hi, folks--
>
> I am (finally) upgrading one of my Debian boxes from Potato to
> Woody. I've installed the base system and am now going over the
> package list to remove unneeded stuff that was installed and add a
> few more goodies. I notice that two versions of GCC were installed:
> 2.95 and 3.0. I'm wondering if there's any good reason to have both.
> Now, I do compile packages from source quite often, but I'm not a C
> programmer, and up until now I've been using 2.95 for everything
> with no apparent problems.
>
> Any idea?
> --

Unless you like life on the bleeding edge, you have no need for 3.0.
Various hacker types on gentoo have been toying with this for many
months now, and they still can't produce a reliable system.  Programs
compiled with a mixture of 2.95 and 3.+ components fail miserably.

My $.02, don't worry about 3.0 until stable realeases begin to appear.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD? - Code Python
gentoo(since 01/01/01) kernel 2.4.18+(ext3) xfce-sylpheed-skipstone