[CLUE-Tech] Firewall Stops Working...

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Aug 14 17:58:18 MDT 2002

jose sanchez wrote:

 > The box has three NICs. One for a LAN, one for a DMZ, and one for the
 > Internet connection running dhcpcd to get an IP from a cable modem
 > (isp: Road Runner). Everything works fine but, after hours of
 > innactivity I cannot access the Internet from the LAN. I can do
 > everything else (chat, ftp, ssh, ping, traceroute, etc...) from the
 > LAN to the outside world.

Seems to me that ping, ssh, etc., *is* access to the Internet.  What do
you mean by "cannot access"?

Assuming you mean something tcp based like web browsing, there are 2
things you can try.  First run (at the command line)

nslookup <host you can't reach>

If you get an IP address back from that, try

telnet <host you can't reach> <port>

(Use 80 for the port for web.  Look in /etc/services for others.)

If you can't figure it out still, tell us (exactly) what command you run
and what the output is.

Welcome to the list!