[CLUE-Tech] SCSI

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Thu Aug 22 12:09:37 MDT 2002

Remember last week when I was asking about SCSI tape drives? Well, I
have having issues with the stability of the whole thing, and it turned
out my SCSI card was defective.  So, very stupidly, I purchased a Tekram
DC395-U off of Ebay.  I have a Tekram DC390 at home, and it works
flawlessly with linux, so I expected the same with the CD395-U... my
mistake!  Even the latest kernel, 2.4.19, does not include low level
scsi driver support for it.  So, I had to dig around until I found this:

http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/dc395/

This person is working on a driver for it, and the last update to it
appears to be in June.  So, I downloaded the latest source and plan on
applying it to my kernel source for 2.4.19 and recompiling to see how it
works.  I have always just downloaded kernel source and followed my
tried and true compling and install procedure:

cd /usr/src/linux (where I keep the source)
make menuconfig
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
make install
pico /etc/grub.conf
/sbin/shutdown -r now

I have never patched a kernel before, so could someone tell me how to
patch my existing /usr/src/linux code?
--

                                -Mike Staver
                                 staver at fimble.com