[CLUE-Tech] filesystem error at boot

apurna Kumar ghosh a.k.ghosh at lycos.com
Fri Aug 23 02:06:26 MDT 2002

Dear clue-tech,

I am a newbie running RED Hat 7.1.  The system has been running for about a
month.  The machine  turned off without proper shutdown
procedures.
Now during the boot up I get the following on the monitor at the end of the
boot process:

Checking root filesystem
/ contains a file system with errors, check forced.
/:
Directory inode 228107, block 0, offset 0: directory corrupted

/: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
                 (i.e., without -a or -p options)

[FAILED]

*** An error occurred during the file system check.
*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startyp):

I put  in the root password, then I get

(Repair filesystem) 1 #

but what do I do then???  I have typed in fsck (return) but just get

(Repair filesystem) 2 #

and so on!!!!

help !!!

A.K.GHOSH