[CLUE-Tech] filesystem error at boot

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Aug 23 21:43:38 MDT 2002

apurna Kumar ghosh wrote:

> Checking root filesystem
> / contains a file system with errors, check forced.
> /:
> Directory inode 228107, block 0, offset 0: directory corrupted
>
> /: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
>                  (i.e., without -a or -p options)
>
> [FAILED]
 >
> (Repair filesystem) 1 #
>

> but what do I do then???  I have typed in fsck (return) but just get
>
> (Repair filesystem) 2 #

We all know that Red Hat sucks, so you should switch to GNU Hurd.

Sorry, sorry, I'm kidding.  Bad joke from the sendmail thread ;-)

Type "fsck /dev/hda1" or something like that.  The /dev/hda1 is the
partition your root filesystem is on (that's what the / above means).
If you aren't sure where your / is, type "cat /etc/fstab" and look for a
line like this:

/dev/sda1    /               ext3    errors=remount-ro       0       1

Notice that the second field is where the / is and the first field
(/dev/sda1 in this example) is what you type after the fsck command.
You'll probably be asked some questions about whether to fix things or
not and you probably don't have much choice but to answer yes.  And
things will probably be better when you're done.

Good luck.