[CLUE-Tech] Sendmail problems: I'm going nuts.

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Fri Aug 23 23:55:54 MDT 2002

> Finally, it seems like your setup is odd.  Normally when a user sends
> mail, and the mail bounces, the user gets the bounce message.  No need
> to have it go to you and then them via procmail.  Are you sure you know
> which leg of the original/bounce is giving the error?

Bounced error messages for non-existent users go to root.  Me!  All
servers have root's mail bounced to an 'admin' email, which is me.  I get
well over 350 messages every day.  Most can be deleted, some is useful.
I like to keep my finger firmly on the pulse of ALL my servers, no matter
how big a pain in the keister.

The setup is odd because it needs to be odd.  I have a script running that
will deliver mail 'from' a user that doesn't exist.  Because the user
doesn't exist, it doesn't know who to return it to.  So, you make a
catchall in sendmail to catch all mail to domain mydomain.com, and you
make a procmail script to filter it out according to whom it's addressed
to. So, if I send mail 'from' funkmaster at mydomain.com, and it bounces,
procmail recieves it and puts it in a mailbox called
'funkmaster at mydomain.com'.  This way, if I send lots of email, and they
bounce, I can runa  script to see who it was sent to, and remove them or
deal with that accordingly (useful for catching non-existent users in a
domain).

I found the problem (I think I posted this earlier), and it was a
combination of DNS and sendmail configurations that I thought were
correct, but indeed, they weren't.

oh, well.