[CLUE-Tech] Moving data between partitions?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat Aug 24 10:43:30 MDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-08-24 at 09:49, Lynn Danielson wrote:
> Jeffery C. Cann wrote:
> > Is there a simple way to move space from my /var partition to my / partition?
>
> One quick and dirty approach is to simply move large directories from your
> full partition to the more spacious one.  For example, if your /usr/local
> directory is huge and taking up too much space, move /usr/local to /var/local
> and create a symlink from /var/local back to /usr/local.  In this specific
> case there shouldn't be a need to switch to single user mode, but depending
> on what you decide to move it might be a good idea.

Lynn should get the "best support answer" on this thread, IMNSHO.

People have mentioned reformatting-and-repartitioning, LVM, and
Partition Magic.  While these are all valid approaches, they are a lot
more work (and a lot more error-prone) than just moving and soft-linking
a few directories as suggested by Lynn.

Of course, if you're moving and soft-linking critical parts of your
system then its a good idea to use something like the LinuxCare BBC or
Tom's root-boot distros so that you won't be concurrently using any of
the things that you're actually moving.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/edhill.php
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phone:  303-273-3483    Fax: 303-273-3311