[CLUE-Tech] mpg123 - recursively play directories?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Aug 26 16:04:41 MDT 2002

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:38:14 -0600
Dave Price <davep at kinaole.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 03:03:30PM -0600, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> > On 08-26 14:52, Dave Price wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is there a simple syntax to use with mpg123 to play an arbitrary
> > > directory 'recursively'?
> >
> > Would xargs work? Something like this:
> >
> > ls -R | xargs mpg123 {}\;
> >
> > I can't try it as I use mp3blaster when I play stuff at commandline.
> >
> Almost, but since ls is not giving a full (or relative) path, it fails.

Hmmm, didn't know you could use xargs that way (using the {} construct).

Instead of ls, would find do the trick?

find /path/to/mp3-root | xargs ...

On my system, the default action for find is "-print", and without
specifying any condition, all files match, and it outputs full paths.

HTH
jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5