[CLUE-Tech] Kernel compiling questions

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Tue Aug 27 16:02:02 MDT 2002

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 03:46:27PM -0600, Dave Price wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 03:11:36PM -0600, Mike Staver wrote:
> > Ok, so I finally figured out how to patch that new SCSI driver into my
> > 2.4.19 kernel source, but I am stuck here:
> >
> > "note that you need to enable CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL to be able to select
> > the DC395
> > driver; of course you need it in the kernel"

> First choice: "Code Maturity Level Options" select:
>
> "Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers"

Ah, yes ... uberhackers and READMEs often talk in terms of names like
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL (because those are the actual option names found in
the kernel config file). But the menuconfig and xconfig interfaces use
more "user-friendly" names, so it can be a little hard to figure out
which option is what sometimes. I have found it a helpful exercise to
browse through the generated config file and see how it corresponds to
the options I selected.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA