[CLUE-Tech] usb/ide adapter?

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Wed Aug 28 11:34:52 MDT 2002

Hi,

I have a USB-ATAPI adapter - allows a laptop-ide drive to hook to usb.
This works under windoze witha supplied device driver.

I am trying to get it to work under debian wooody with a 2.4.18 kernel.

I have compiled in usb (uhci) support and usb-storage support.  At boot,
dmesg appears to recognize the device:

hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 2
usb.c: kmalloc IF d50ca420, numif 1
usb.c: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb.c: USB device number 2 default language ID 0x409
Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
Product: ATAPI-4 Bridge Controller
SerialNumber: 0
usb.c: unhandled interfaces on device
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x67b/0x2307) is not claimed by any
active driver
.
  Length              = 18
  DescriptorType      = 01
  USB version         = 1.00
  Vendor:Product      = 067b:2307
  MaxPacketSize0      = 8
  NumConfigurations   = 1
  Device version      = 1.00
  Device Class:SubClass:Protocol = 00:00:00
    Per-interface classes
Configuration:
  bLength             =    9
  bDescriptorType     =   02
  wTotalLength        = 0027
  bNumInterfaces      =   01
  bConfigurationValue =   01
  iConfiguration      =   00
  bmAttributes        =   a0
  MaxPower            =  100mA

... However, it does not appear in /proc/scsi/scsi as indicated in the
howto... only devices attached to my adaptec scsi controller show up:

[davep at dp:~]$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: WDIGTL   Model: ENTERPRISE       Rev: 1.91
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: YAMAHA   Model: CRW8424S         Rev: 1.0g
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
[davep at dp:~]$

  Any hints as to whre how I can make this device appear?

aloha,
dave