[CLUE-Tech] usb/ide adapter?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Aug 28 18:57:49 MDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 01:07:54PM -0600, Dave Price wrote:
>> > usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x67b/0x2307) is not claimed by any
>> > active driver

You *DO* have the usb-storage driver loaded when you plug in the device?

>That is the howto I have been working off of.  Says my device should
>show in /proc/scsi/scsi - but no joy.
>
>FYI - with the system configured thus, a USB zip drive shows up in
>/proc/scsi/scsi as advertised, and works flawlessly.

Perhaps the USB<->IDE adapter you have isn't supported under Linux?  The
one I got, Addonics, specifically listed on their product page that it
worked under Linux.  That's why I got it.

Oh, and you'll probably want to see about moving to USB-2.0 if you use it a
lot.  I'm dropping a USB-2.0 card in one of my boxes tonight just for that.
In my tests, USB was taking about 20 minutes to copy 1GB of data off my
hard drive, and when I went to USB-2.0, *10* GB was taking 13 minutes.  So,
a speed up of around 10x?

Oh, wait, you're on Debian...  You'll have to wait until 2005 to get
support for USB-2.0.  ;-/  The current Red Hat beta kernels have 2.0
support in them, if you want a place to start building your own...

Sean
--
 Canadian phone sex: What kind of hockey jersey are you wearing?
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/