[CLUE-Tech] Stump the stiffs III: Wrecked MBRs

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Thu Aug 29 14:15:18 MDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 01:52:38PM -0600, Lynn Danielson wrote:

> According to the Linux+NT-Loader mini-howto you should:
>
> 1) Set lilo boot option to the partition of your Linux root filesystem.
>
> 2) Copy the first sector of that partition to a file, e.g.,
>     dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
>       or copy the boot floppy
>     dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
>
> 3) Copy that file to the Windows partition -- probably via a floppy.
<snip>

I tried this for a while - it is really easy to lock yourself out of the
linux system if you forget to recreate your bootsect.lnx file and cp it
over to winbloze any time that you would otherwise just update lilo (new
kernel, etc ...)

It is very compatible with windoze tho, in that it does not change the
windoze boot sector.  When I was booting this way, I had a 2gb fat32 c:
drive that I could mount under linux, and a little script to mount c:
and cp bootsect.lnx over ...  I still forgot a couple of times tho, when
I was in a hurry, and unlike lilo (or grub) , where you can leave
old working boot configs available, the windoze loader trick leaves you
no option but a boot disk (knoppix!). i

BTW, the bootsect.lnx _must_ by on windows c: for the NT loader to
find it, at least with NT Workstation 4 and Win2K.

 aloha, dave