[CLUE-Tech] Stump the stiffs III: Wrecked MBRs (grub)

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Aug 30 10:36:27 MDT 2002

Dave Price wrote:
> I mentioned earlier that a nice feature of grub is the ability to test
> configs on a floppy and then commit them to hdd when you are satisfied.

Hmm...  That's what I do with lilo, since running lilo updates the mbr
and may break things.  Seems that with grub the only thing you change is
menu.lst.  Even if you break the menu, you can edit it when grub boots
or use the command line.  So there isn't any need for a test floppy, is
there?

> Here is a link to a Linux Journal article that describes the process
> (and grub in general) in detail.
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=4622

That's a nice article, but like most things I've read about boot loaders
it has an error.  Under "Error Recovery", to restore a partition boot
sector with lilo it says:

"If, this is a Linux partition, it is again effective to rerun LILO,
where /etc/lilo.conf has a line in the boot stanza that reads
root=/dev/hda1."

This should say boot=/dev/hda1.