[CLUE-Tech] X Keyboard Mapping Question

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Fri Aug 30 21:31:52 MDT 2002

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 09:08:48PM -0600, Jeffery C. Cann wrote:

> BTW, I am also running Mandrake 8.2 and xkeycaps was not installed by default
> and it is not part of the 'Internet Edition', so you'll have to download and
> build the xkeycaps from jwz.org.  Based on the short time I spent looking at
> your problem, I assume that this graphical front-end will be a little easier
> than using xmodmap directly.

Or maybe a lot easier. The xmodmap keyboard mapping syntax is a little
tricky--things don't always mean what they seem to mean. With XKeycaps,
you have an image of a keyboard, and you just select the key you want
and enter whatever character or symbol it should generate ... then you
can test your keymapping before saving the config file. It's one of the
few GUI-based Linux configuration tools I really like.

P.S. A side note for those who don't know: the 'jwz' in jwz.org stands
     Jamie W. Zawinski. He was one of the original XEmacs developers,
     went on to be Netscape's Unix guru, and was later instrumental in
     setting up the Mozilla project. He's somewhere up there in that
     pantheon.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA