[CLUE-Tech] X Keyboard Mapping Question

Jeffery C. Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Fri Aug 30 21:08:48 MDT 2002

Hi,

AFAIK, X has the capability to map keyboards to your discretion.  I have
personally never attempted this, but I was intrigued by your question.  So, I
first checked /etc/X11/XF86Config file under the section "Keyboard" for some
hints.

This led me to find some utilities (I found them using the man -k {keyword}
command to search the manual (man) pages for {keyword} (no braces).  In this
case, I did a

$ man -k keyboard

There was a lot of output, mostly X API functions.  But I found a few listings
of command line utilities:

 dumpkeys, loadkeys, keymaps, showkeys

The keymaps man page led me to the xmodmap command.  Bingo!

DESCRIPTION
The  xmodmap  program is used to edit and display the keyboard modifier map
and keymap table that are used by client applications to convert event
keycodes into keysyms.  It is  usually run  from  the user's session startup
script to configure the keyboard according to personal tastes.

Next, I did a google search on 'xmodmap' and found some interesting links.
Here is an overview of mapping keyboards.
 + http://web.mit.edu/answers/xwindows/xwindows_xmodmap.html

Finally, I found a graphical front-end for xmodmap, called 'XKeyCaps'.  You
can get it from:  http://www.jwz.org/xkeycaps/

BTW, I am also running Mandrake 8.2 and xkeycaps was not installed by default
and it is not part of the 'Internet Edition', so you'll have to download and
build the xkeycaps from jwz.org.  Based on the short time I spent looking at
your problem, I assume that this graphical front-end will be a little easier
than using xmodmap directly.

Let us know it works!

Later,
Jeff