[CLUE-Tech] ISO images from Audio CD's?

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sun Dec 8 08:36:49 MST 2002

* Dave Price (davep at kinaole.org) wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I read (somewhere) that it is possible to make a directly useable Hard
> Disk 'Image File' from an Audio-CD.
>
> I am familiar with mkisofs for sets of data files and mounting the
> iso-9660 images as loop(ed) devices to access the files within the
> resulting image file.
>
> Also, I know that cdrdao builds a .bin temp file when you make a copy
>
> Are these files interchangeable?  How would one mount an Audio 'image
> file' to play it, since you usually do not mount Audio CD's - players
> like xmms just use the raw device (right?)
>
> Any hints or pointers (urls) would be appreciated.

I think this depends on your definition of 'directly.'  An audio CD is
*not* an ISO9660 filesystem, so you can not turn an audio CD direclty
into an ISO image.  You would have to rip the CDAUDIO tracks, and then
make those into an ISO with mkisofs, I guess.  But what would be the
point?

The most common thing would be to rip the tracks from the CD, and turn
them into .wav files (say, with cdparanoia).  Then, to save space, you
encode them into mp3s with lame.  Then, you just play them right of your
hard drive.  The CD audio tracks are just a .wav file without any header
information (or, better stated, a .wav file is just a CD audio track
*with* a header attached).  They are going to be ~60 mb each.  But if
you don't bind that size, just keep them as .wavs.

I imagine the .bin file that cdrdao is something it makes for itself to
make writing the whole disk at once easier.  It probably just creates
the TOC, and appends all the CD audio data, into one big file, so it can
just pipe it to the burner, rather than having to create it on the fly.
But it won't be an ISO filesystem, it will be CD audio, which is just a
TOC and then a long string of bits.

So what are you trying to do?

Tim