[CLUE-Tech] ISO images from Audio CD's?

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Sun Dec 8 10:32:40 MST 2002

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 08:36:49AM -0700, Timothy C. Klein wrote:

> The most common thing would be to rip the tracks from the CD, and turn
> them into .wav files (say, with cdparanoia).  Then, to save space, you
> encode them into mp3s with lame.  Then, you just play them right of your
> hard drive.  The CD audio tracks are just a .wav file without any header
> information (or, better stated, a .wav file is just a CD audio track
> *with* a header attached).  They are going to be ~60 mb each.  But if
> you don't bind that size, just keep them as .wavs.
>
> I imagine the .bin file that cdrdao is something it makes for itself to
> make writing the whole disk at once easier.  It probably just creates
> the TOC, and appends all the CD audio data, into one big file, so it can
> just pipe it to the burner, rather than having to create it on the fly.
> But it won't be an ISO filesystem, it will be CD audio, which is just a
> TOC and then a long string of bits.
>
> So what are you trying to do?

I make mp3's now ... but with disk space so inexpensive, I am toying
with the idea of keeping _uncompressed_ cdaudio so that I could produce
audio player (not mp3) compatible cd's with no loss in quality from the
original audio cd.

(encoding to .ogg or .mp3 and then decoding would have to reduce
the quality somewhat;  I would actually like to see what 'somewhat'
sounds like)

aloha,
dave