[CLUE-Tech] ssh and X question

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Sun Dec 8 13:35:58 MST 2002

On 12-07 20:51, Dave Price wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 10:39:15AM -0700, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> > I've often wondered if this is possible:
> >
> > Machine A is running some X app, logged in as user1.
> >
> > Machine B ssh'es into Machine A as user1.
> >
> > Is there any way to redirect the running app to Machine B, and then send it
> > back to A when done?
> >

> If it is a console app, screen is ideal ... for a GUI, this might
> be better served with vncserver running on A, then you can grab
> the whole desktop - I don't _think_ that ssh tunneling can grab
> the output of an app that is already displaying on another xserver
> (machine A)

Thanks, I'll look into screen. Hopefully FreeBSD has the equivalent...I've
seen notes in mutella's TODO list - to explain the use of screen to keep
uptimes at the max.

Since "screen" is such a common word, any chance you have some good links on
it?

I'm aware of vnc, but that's not quite what I want, unfortunately.

The application that would be most nice to "grab" is EveryBuddy. For obvious
reasons, I can't run it twice. Anyone know of (and use) a commandline IM
client?

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river
was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of
time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the
words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.
-Norman Maclean