[CLUE-Tech] ssh and X question (screen)

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Sun Dec 8 13:57:28 MST 2002

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 01:35:58PM -0700, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> Thanks, I'll look into screen. Hopefully FreeBSD has the equivalent...I've
> seen notes in mutella's TODO list - to explain the use of screen to keep
> uptimes at the max.
>
> Since "screen" is such a common word, any chance you have some good links on
> it?

Sean,

Here is a great tutorial:

Basically in a console or xterm, type: 'screen'

Start your program as usual - all keystrokes go to the app except those
preceded by 'control-a'

To detach (leaving the session / program running) control-a d
(control a followed by 'd' (or control-d)

To reattach, ssh to the system with suspended sessions, and type
screen -r

Play around - detach again if you want.

Bear in mind that screen is a 'console windowing environment' sort of
like the virtual consoles at the linux keyboard ... you can create,
suspend, resume as many sessions as you can keep track of.

screen -r gets the last one back - see the tutorial or man page for the
more advanced options.

aloha,
dave