cdrdao (WAS Re: [CLUE-Tech] ISO images from Audio CD's?)

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Sun Dec 8 17:37:34 MST 2002

On Sunday,  8 December 2002 at 12:37:24 -0700, Dave Price <davep at kinaole.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 11:34:57AM -0700, Randy Arabie wrote:
> >
> > Somewhat off-topic...I understand from this thread that it isn't
> > possible to just "copy" an audio CD?
> >
> > For example, I have a regular CDROM drive and a CD-Writer drive.  I
> > can't put an audio CD in the CDROM and make a copy of it with my
> > CD-Writer?
>
> Certainly.  cdrdao does copies very well, tho a bit slowly.  I am
> looking for alternatives to allow me to store and use the 'intermediate'
> audio data ... what gets read from the audio cd when it is copied, but
> preserve it in its original format - not compress it.

I'm giving cdrdao a whirl.  I tried this:

rrarabie at potter:~$ cdrdao copy -v 10 --device 0,0,0 --source-device
/dev/hdb --speed 4 --buffers 64 --reload --eject --on-the-fly --fast-toc
--paranoia-mode 0

And I got this:

0,0,0: HP CD-Writer+ 9100       Rev: 1.0c
Reading driver table from file "/usr/share/cdrdao/drivers".
Found 184 valid driver table entries.
Using driver: Generic SCSI-3/MMC - Version 1.2 (options 0x0010)

ERROR: /dev/cdrom: Need a filename that resolves to a SCSI device.
ERROR: Cannot open SCSI device '/dev/cdrom': Cannot open '/dev/cdrom'
ERROR: Please use option '--device bus,id,lun', e.g. --device 0,6,0
ERROR: Cannot setup source device /dev/cdrom.

I think I understand the error.  /dev/cdrom is a symbolic link to
/dev/hdb.  It works as a CD-ROM, but I've never been able to play
audio CD's from it.  Apparently, cdrdao and the xmms need to access
it via it's SCSI device bus,id,lun.  However, I don't know hot to
get this.  For my writer I use cdrecord --scan-bus, that only reports
my CD-Writer:

rrarabie at potter:~$ cdrecord --scanbus
Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.22
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
scsibus0:
   0,0,0     0) 'HP CD-Writer+ 9100 ' '1.0c' Removable CD-ROM
   0,1,0     1) *
   0,2,0     2) *
   0,3,0     3) *
   0,4,0     4) *