cdrdao (WAS Re: [CLUE-Tech] ISO images from Audio CD's?)

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Mon Dec 9 12:53:56 MST 2002

Timothy C. Klein wrote:
[...]

> I did not realize that the writing commands are only supported in SCSI.
> If so, that would explain why SCSI is required for all the burning.  And
> while they an ATAPI device can be controlled by through SCSI or IDE, it
> can't be switched from one to the other without a reboot, as far as I
> can tell.

Drivers that are loaded as modules can be loaded and unloaded without
rebooting.

[...]

> I know how to get my DVD controlled by the IDE controller, and how to
> get my CDROM controlled by the IDE-SCSI emulator.  That is no problem.
> The problem is that none of the CD ripping/burning software supports
> *reading* from an IDE device as input.   They all rely on talking to the
> CDROM through a SCSI interface.  So if I have my DVD drive controlled by
> IDE, so that I can get DMA and such, it is useless for piping data to my
> CD Burner.  Thus I can not go directly from CD to CD, I have to buffer
> to the hard drive.  A minor but annoying detail.

Well, perhaps.  cdparanoia and cdda2wav will both read IDE drives.
Maybe it's just programs that read and write at the same time.  I don't
know how easy it is to pipe these together, I've always gone to disk
first.  If you're doing CD to CD copying, do you really need DMA and
whatever that IDE gives you?  Seems like you're limited by write speed
anyway.