cdrdao (WAS Re: [CLUE-Tech] ISO images from Audio CD's?)

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Dec 9 13:06:39 MST 2002

* David Anselmi (anselmi at americanisp.net) wrote:
> Timothy C. Klein wrote:
> [...]
>
> >I did not realize that the writing commands are only supported in SCSI.
> >If so, that would explain why SCSI is required for all the burning.  And
> >while they an ATAPI device can be controlled by through SCSI or IDE, it
> >can't be switched from one to the other without a reboot, as far as I
> >can tell.
>
> Drivers that are loaded as modules can be loaded and unloaded without
> rebooting.

But since my boot drive is an IDE, it can not be a module.  So if I boot
with the DVD as IDE, but want it to be temporarily SCSI, I can just load
the IDE-SCSI module and then unload it?  I thought I had tried that, but
the IDE wouldn't let go of the drive.

> >I know how to get my DVD controlled by the IDE controller, and how to
> >get my CDROM controlled by the IDE-SCSI emulator.  That is no problem.
> >The problem is that none of the CD ripping/burning software supports
> >*reading* from an IDE device as input.   They all rely on talking to the
> >CDROM through a SCSI interface.  So if I have my DVD drive controlled by
> >IDE, so that I can get DMA and such, it is useless for piping data to my
> >CD Burner.  Thus I can not go directly from CD to CD, I have to buffer
> >to the hard drive.  A minor but annoying detail.
>
> Well, perhaps.  cdparanoia and cdda2wav will both read IDE drives.
> Maybe it's just programs that read and write at the same time.  I don't
> know how easy it is to pipe these together, I've always gone to disk
> first.  If you're doing CD to CD copying, do you really need DMA and
> whatever that IDE gives you?  Seems like you're limited by write speed
> anyway.

No, I don't need DMA for the CD to CD copy, but I need it on the DVD
player to be able to play DVDS at greater than 1 frame per second.