cdrdao (WAS Re: [CLUE-Tech] ISO images from Audio CD's?)

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Mon Dec 9 22:12:25 MST 2002

Jed S. Baer wrote:

[...]
> However, reading from one and writing to another?
>
> Well, a little experimentation got me to the point where I could rip using
> /dev/sg0. Oddly, even though Jorg Schilling wrote both cdparanoia, and the
> some of the generic scsi stuff, cdparanoia won't look to see if any of the
> sg devices point to a cdrom. What I had to do was delink /dev/cdrom from
> /dev/hdd, and relink it to /dev/sg0. Now cdparanoina functions using the
> /dev/sg0 generic scsi device. I think the answer must lie in /dev/hdd
> being "configured" as an IDE.

/dev/hdd is always an IDE device.  If the IDE module grabs your CDROM
there will be something there.  If the SCSI module grabs your CDROM,
there won't be (the node is there but not the hardware).

You can tell cdparanoia what device to use with -d.  Otherwise it tries
to guess.

[...]

> I'm guessing that by careful use of modules.conf, this could all get to
> the point where it's seamless, and/or the modules grab only the intended
> drive (in the case of a machine with 2 cdrom drives, or a cd-rw and a
> DVD).

I think so.  You can alias the device names to the modules, so if you
try to open hdd, the IDE loads, and if you try to open scd0 (or sg0) the
SCSI loads.  Since you get exponential combinations with more drives,
getting exactly the right thing (and right being what you feel like at
the time) might be tricky.  The other hangup is that you can't unload a
module to let go of say hdd when hdc is using it (i.e., mounted).

> p.s. Some while back, someone posted a great recipe for having cdparanoia
> produce a "byte-for-byte" image of a CD. I has asked about duplicating a
> CD, but running out of space when doing it on a track by track basis. I
> seem to have misplaced this, and looking through the archives, I haven't
> found it. If that person remembers the incantations, I'd appreciate a
> repost.

Hmm.  You mean audio CDs?  cdrdao should do that easily.  Otherwise,
I've used cdda2wav to read TOC info, cdparanoia to rip the tracks (it
does better error correction that cdda2wav, I heard), and the combine
them to run cdrecord.  If that's the kind of thing you want let me know
and I'll dig up my script.