[CLUE-Tech] C language in Linux

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Dec 12 07:49:20 MST 2002

Thus spoke Marcin
> Thank you very much for advices and you letter ! Thanks to you I've
> found out that in front of me it's woderful adventure ;-) It isn't easy
> like in Windows or DOS.

Actually, once you get into it, it turns out to be easier than Windows and
DOS.  Initially, it's just harder because you're unfamiliar with it.

> > Start with the O'Reilly texts on  the X Window System.
> Could you recommend any titles ?

Well, the O'Reilly site doesn't list these texts anymore, except for the Motif
version of the X User Guide.  You could start with that one just to become
familiar with the X Window System in general.

Aside from that, you can try the GTK+ web site.  They have pretty good
documentation and some sample code.  www.gtk.org

KDE and Qt have their own web sites as well - www.kde.org and
http://www.trolltech.com/

Unfortunately, the X Window System is not as thoroughly documented in text
books as the Microsoft world is.  Much of your work will be in reading source
code to see how other people did it.

Hmm.  This might make a good article for one of the print magazines.  I'll
have to think about that...
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |   Chinese Proverb: