[CLUE-Tech] Updating Intel Motherboards under Linux

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Fri Dec 13 00:17:37 MST 2002

* Kevin Cullis (kevincu at orci.com) wrote:
> No, it's not dual-boot, that's why the question how to do and update
> WITHOUT Windows.
>
> KC

All the BIOS updates I have done required a boot-able DOS floppy.
Generally, you boot into a clean DOS (no CONFIG.SYS stuff, no TSRs,
etc), and follow the instructions provided by Intel.  That probably
involves putting the BIOS image and the extraction utility onto the DOS
floppy, run the extraction utility, and point it at the IMG.

If the Intel BIOS update is a Windows program (I haven't ever run into
one, but I seem to remember hearing about BIOS programs having to move
that way), you may (probably) be out of luck without Windows.

If it is DOS, just borrow a friend's Windows/Dos boot disk (easy), or go
investigate FreeDOS (gpl, the harder way).

However, if you goof up the BIOS update, your machine becomes a toaster
oven while you mail the motherboard off to Intel so they can replace the
eeprom.  Mind you, it is *not* hard, but if screwed up your computer
won't boot.

I might actually have a FreeDOS boot-able disk image here, but I am not
sure, haven't used it in a while.  It may or may not work for you.

Tim