[CLUE-Tech] hosting-from-home bandwith recommendations

Mike Miller mmiller1106 at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 14 10:23:59 MST 2002

I pay earthlink $22 a month to host my website (200mb, 2gb traffic) and
email, and have attbi at home.

I think if you look closely at the terms and conditions from attbi, they
don't EXPLICITLY forbid you from running a web server. What I end up
doing is: as stuff on my earthlink site ages, I move it to a webserver
at attbi, that way Earthlink has the bandwidth for new stuff (car
videos, kid pics for the family, etc.) and the older stuff is still
online at a lower bitrate.

I've been doing this for over a year and haven't heard from the gestapo.
I think they realise that enough traffic occurrs on port 80 that they
can't reject valid traffic, so they leave it alone and tell you vocally
that you can't do it.

Now, if you wanna distribute linux .iso's and Pr0n Spam, they may want
to have a talk with you. ;)