[CLUE-Tech] Slow XWindow :-(

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Mon Dec 16 10:15:05 MST 2002

On 12-15 07:57, Marcin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Do anyone know why my XWindow is slow?
> I've been using RedHat 7.3 and Debian GNU/Linux 3.0.
> For example (in RedHat) :
> runing KDE :          it takes me about 53 sec.
> runing Quanta+ :    it takes me about 48 sec.
> runing Konqueror :  it takes me about 18 sec.
> runing KMail :        it takes me about 43 sec.
>
> Is it normal?
>
> My computer is :
> CPU :    AMD K6
> Graph. : Trident 3DImage 975
> RAM :   96 MB
> SWAP : 256 MB
> HDD :    IDE 30 GB
>
> I divided my HDD :
> hda2 SWAP            256 MB
> hda1 Win2K (vfat)    2.7 GB
> hda5 Debian (ext2)  5 GB
> hda6 RedHat (ext2)  5 GB
> hda7 vfat                13 GB
> hda8 vfat                3 GB
>
> In the past I had another partitions, and my Linux was slow too :-( Is
> Linux slower than Win2K ??? I don't believe, but why my Linux is slow? Do
> I need better CPU ?  In Debian I compiled my kernel, but runing e.g. KDE
> or Konqueror take me so much time like in RedHat.

What does "top" show after you sort by memory usage (using "M")? Are there
services in there taking up memory and cpu that you can do without?

Another option is to try a window manager that isn't as bloated as KDE or
GNOME, like twm, blackbox, fluxbox, etc. They might not have all the bells
and whistles, but on a slower machine, you have to make some sacrifices.

Also, in KDE, there is a slider bar in the control panel that affects how
many special effects there are. If you are going to run KDE on such a
machine, you may want to consider setting that to the least amount of
special effects. What do you have for your background?

Cheers,

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
If the human mind was simple enough to understand, we'd be too simple to
understand it.
-Emerson Pugh
(contributed by Chris Johnston)