[CLUE-Tech] CD Burner for Linux, which one will Santa bring?

Lynn Danielson lynn.danielson at clue.denver.co.us
Mon Dec 23 10:07:14 MST 2002

On Sun, 2002-12-22 at 19:12, Kevin Cullis wrote:

> I will be in the on the lookout for a CD burner after Christmas, which
> ones would you recommend that I buy for Linux (Santa's already brought
> SuSe 8.1)? Preferrably about $100.

TDK's VeloCD and the Yamaha CD-R's are pretty good for about that price.
I know a couple of people who don't believe they're worth the extra
bucks, but we've been very happy with Plextors.  I recall Sean
Reifschneider saying that he'd been happy with Mitsumi drives which
are cheaper.  The VeloCD and Yamaha units both include "burn proof"
features.  I've been considering getting a Yamaha, because their
buffer size is greater than most units (8 MB if I recall correctly)
and they're frequently on sale.  One of my coworkers tells me that
they're getting out of the CD-R business.  I'd still buy one, but
it's something you might want to consider.

Fwiw,

Lynn