[CLUE-Tech] Migrating old data to new installed system involving CDRW/2nd HD

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Mon Dec 23 23:02:34 MST 2002

Collins wrote:
> EXT3 is the only journaling fs that can be convertef on the fly - just
> add the journal to an EXT2 disk.

Didn't know that, but good info.

> I had a need 6-8 months back to do some recovery work on an xfs drive
> (drive was becoming flaky), and found to my chagrin that the Linuxcare
> recovery disk couldn't handle XFS, but my gentoo install disk worked
> just fine.  Knoppix, of course, supports XFS, and Linuxcare may have
> come up to speed by now.  Don't know about JFS, but it would be a good
> idea (TM) to find out before betting the farm.
>
> If I were doing it, I would pick a fs, do the install (leaving drive 2
> untouched), monitor for stability, then backup your drive 2 data and
> reformat drive 2 and resume your backup procedures to drive 2, thus
> winding up with one and one only journaling fs.

Hadn't thought of that, good idea.  So I'd keep drive 2 as ext2 and do a
new install on drive 1 with ext3, then put data on drive 1 and redo
drive 2 under ext3.  Sounds like a good plan.  It also means I don't
have to have the CDRW to do this, but it would be nice.

> Since you don't really use drive 2 for anything other than backups
> (true?), there should be no new performance implications.

Yep, just doing backup of data from 1st HD. Will be pursuing dump and a
cron job beginning next year to auto the backup.

Kevin