[CLUE-Tech] Listening to CPR.org w/ Mozilla/Galeon?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Sat Dec 28 17:34:33 MST 2002

On 12-28 17:01, Ski Dawg wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-12-28 at 21:19, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> > Does anyone have this working? I listen to sites that use RealPlayer, but
> > this one says "Requires Windows Media Player". If so, what player did you
> > use, and what config did you use in Galeon/Mozilla? I think xine/mplayer can
> > do WM, but I don't know about streaming.
>
> You might want to try the FFmpeg codec. IIRC, it supports streaming
> windows media formats (asf, wmv, wma are just a few of the supported
> formats). You can check it out at http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/  Xine
> and MPlayer are both listed on the site as projects that can (an maybe
> do) use FFmpeg.

Okay, I'm looking into this - I'm building the mplayerxp port on my laptop
right now. I'm also trying to google a bit more on this. Thanks.

[snip]
> I checked out the site that you mentioned and it said that I didn't have
> the flash player installed on my machine. Since I knew that flash for
> linux (ver 6 beta) was installed, I clicked the link to enter the site
> and didn't have any problems with it. If you have flash installed, try
> clicking past the opening "error" page. Maybe the page is just not
> recognizing that you have the flash player installed.
>
> Just in case you need to download a flash player, head over to
> http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/alternates/. I think that
> is a pretty complete list of the different players. They don't have one
> for BSD specifically, but maybe on of the linux (or other) player will
> work for you.

Well, that's weird. I am on another box (laptop, running FBSD 5.0 RC1) and
the site works. I'm going to try installing the "pluginwrapper" port on the
other box, too. That's what I have on here. I run the linux version of the
player, BTW. And I didn't get an error. What version of Mozilla are you
using? I'm using Mozilla 1.2b on this laptop.

<ramble>
Man, that site is just too much. I can't believe sites are still
being made that way - even discounting the fact that they *force* you to use
Flash for a general-purpose website, the presentation is almost exactly what
I remember Jakob Nielsen* (and others) ripping on the terrible Olympic web
site about. There are "links", but you have to hover over them to discern
what they are for. The bottom-right one shows the snowdogs logo when you
hover over it - how are you supposed to know what that is for without
clicking on it? Also, you have to wait for the little animation to finish
while hovering over these to see the text...apparently these folks have not
read "Designing Web Usability" by Jakob Nielsen. I had to send these folks
my resume a few weeks back, and reverted to a W98 box to use the site,
because I didn't have time to mess around w/ Flash setup. I wonder how many
clients they have alienated with their site.
</ramble>

* His site is www.useit.com

Cheers,
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
The early cat gets the bird if the early dog hasn't already eaten it.