[CLUE-Tech] Listening to CPR.org w/ Mozilla/Galeon?

Ski Dawg skidawg at plbb.net
Sat Dec 28 10:01:54 MST 2002

On Sat, 2002-12-28 at 21:19, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> Does anyone have this working? I listen to sites that use RealPlayer, but
> this one says "Requires Windows Media Player". If so, what player did you
> use, and what config did you use in Galeon/Mozilla? I think xine/mplayer can
> do WM, but I don't know about streaming.

You might want to try the FFmpeg codec. IIRC, it supports streaming
windows media formats (asf, wmv, wma are just a few of the supported
formats). You can check it out at http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/  Xine
and MPlayer are both listed on the site as projects that can (an maybe
do) use FFmpeg.

> I'm running FreeBSD 4.6.1 on this particular machine...in case there are any
> FBSD-specific tips.
>
> Also, does anyone have "embedded" Flash working? Maybe that's just a
> FreeBSD-ism that I haven't figured out yet...for example, if you go to
> www.snowdogs.com, (a consulting firm that has offices in Denver), it
> requires Flash to use the site, IIRC. Yeah, I know. :)

I checked out the site that you mentioned and it said that I didn't have
the flash player installed on my machine. Since I knew that flash for
linux (ver 6 beta) was installed, I clicked the link to enter the site
and didn't have any problems with it. If you have flash installed, try
clicking past the opening "error" page. Maybe the page is just not
recognizing that you have the flash player installed.

Just in case you need to download a flash player, head over to
http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/alternates/. I think that
is a pretty complete list of the different players. They don't have one
for BSD specifically, but maybe on of the linux (or other) player will
work for you.

HTH
--
Doug