[CLUE-Tech] DHCp and router on same box

John and lynne jwlikes3 at attbi.com
Sun Dec 29 18:00:33 MST 2002

Greatings,

I have a Red Hat 7.3 system set up as a router to share a cable modem
collection with small home network..  I am slowly trying to make it more
robust and understand all the ramifications.

I would like to implement DHCP on the home network, as now all the
addresses are hard coded.

The eth1 connects to modem and is a DHCP client of the cable server.
The eth0 connects to the hub and is hardcoded as 192.168.0.1 and serves
as a gateway to my hub.

If I turn on the DHCP server on the same box, how do I configure this to
only serve the eth0 side of the machine, and allow eth1 to still be the
client of the cable server.  I think I know how to force a address to
eth0, which it will presumably need to be hardcoded to function as a
gateway.

Thanks for any assistance

J.Likes