[CLUE-Tech] CVS replacement?

Keith Hellman kehellman at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 22:59:29 MST 2002

I'm not proud to say this, but I've written some MONGO script systems
myself, and in the end I don't think it was worth it.  Two reasons mainly:

First: performance - never very good, worse - almost impossible to profile
for targeted improvements
Second: years ago this may have been a reasonable option, but with
languages like Python and Perl out there - I just don't see the reason to
do a 100 percent script system

IMHO of course...

--- Tom Poindexter <tpoindex at nyx.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 08:14:57AM -0800, Keith Hellman wrote:
> >
> > My impression is that is is written in sh - runaway! runaway!
>
> If it works well, why would you care what language it's written in?
> Early versions of CVS were shell scripts around RCS.
>
> Personally, I would say it's an advantage to be written in sh - easier
> for
> me to fix or modify for my own usage.  I have quite a bit of code in
> CVS archives, and probably would need a good reason to switch.  Arch's
> main selling points seem to be better support for 'bazaar'
> development models, of which I don't do much.
>
> --
> Tom Poindexter
> tpoindex at nyx.net
> http://www.nyx.net/~tpoindex/