[CLUE-Tech] Detecting possible hardware failures

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Feb 7 15:44:07 MST 2002

> Dave Hahn wrote:
>
>      This morning I was greeted by an increasingly unresponsive machine. It's
>      an ABit KA7, Athlon 750, running RH7.1.
>
> <snip>
> I've seen this quite a bit with Athlon machines that 1) do not have
> enough cooling / broken cooling  or 2) do not have an Athlon rated
> power supply.  The Athlon chips are wonderful, but you have to make
> sure you check with http://www.amd.com to insure that you are using
> AMD certified stuff, otherwise, you get weird bits all over the place.

Heat was the first thing I thought of. So, I cleaned the heatsink and
fans (they weren't very dirty, though). When I bought the box, I made
certain I had a good PS - PC Power & Cooling of more than sufficient
wattage. Hmmm, I didn't actually check that the CPU fan is spinning.
Gotta do that.

The worst part is that my backup machine for e-mail is running Windoze
;-). Actually, finding a replace Slot-A mobo, if that's what's needed,
will be a major pain.

jed