[CLUE-Tech] Synching time shell script, where to put it to autosynch?

Sean Reifschneider jafo-cluetalk at tummy.com
Tue Feb 12 14:48:48 MST 2002

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 10:38:05PM -0700, Jed S. Baer wrote:
>so ntpd doesn't have to start of with a large slewing/stepping. IIRC, if
>your clock is too far off, ntpd just gives up. In fact, I recall that

If the difference is more than a substantial portion of an hour, it ntpd
will die by default.  Which is a pisser when the machine crashes after a
timezone change.  Newer RedHats will write the current system clock out on
a shutdown, but that's only a CLEAN shutdown -- a power outage or crash
will hose it.

For that reason, I've started setting the following option in my
ntpd.confs:

   tinker panic 10000  #  set clock if within 3 hours

Sean
--
 No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of
 another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him. -- T.J.