[CLUE-Tech] Sound card/speaker "feedback" problem

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Tue Feb 12 15:55:00 MST 2002

I, however, am an audio engineer.  If it is a buzz or a hiss, it is
noise. As opposed to a squeal that starts low, then the pitch rises to a
squeal, and the distance from the speaker to the mic, which is a
feedback loop.

Things you can do for noise:
1) Identify the noisy part, and turn down everything after it in the
signal path.  For instance, you may get better results by turning down
the knob on your speakers, and using the PC mixer to increase overall
volume and individual sources.  Try each way around.  One will be better
than the other.
2) Get better equipment.  Not much of a consolation, but sometimes, this
is all you can do.
3) Isolate, combine, or improve grounds.  If this hum is at 60 hz, you
can ground isolate on the signal line, ground tie on the power side, or
at least make sure you have good grounding on everything.  If one thing
has more resistance to ground than the other, the ground will use the
signal path as the route of least resistance, and cause sound problems.
4) Switch to a balanced setup.  If you go from the standard 2 conductor
audio cables, to equipment designed fro, and using 3 conductors per
channel, you can make longer runs without noise problems, because it
uses distance from ground on 2 signals, and a differential amplifier to
remove noise.  This should not be needed for runs under 10 to 20 feet,
and would be VERY EXPENSIVE.

Bubba style diagnostics:
Plug a pair of headphones straight into the sound card.  Is the noise
there?  If so, you are jammed.  Buy a sound card.  If not, hook the
speakers to a walkman running from batteries (not an AC adapter, this
could be ground related)  Is it there?  If yes, buy speakers.  If it is
there neither way, but it is there when they are hooked together, it is
probably a ground problem.  you can try to improve your grounds, and
make sure they are on the same ground circut, but if one or both is a 2
prong plug, go to Radio Shack, spend $11 and buy a "Ground Loop Isolator"