[CLUE-Tech] Earthlink DSL question.

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Feb 13 19:32:31 MST 2002

David Snyder wrote:

> anselmi at americanisp.net wrote:
>
> That would be me...
>
> This was my original post:
> http://clue.denver.co.us/pipermail/clue-tech/2002-January/002959.html
>
> The good news is I have PPPoE working beautifully (though OpenBSD, which
> has a mature PPPoE client built in) - The problem is involving Sendmail
> (all boxes) and the fact it appears Earthlink's anti-spammer measures
> disallow any SMTP servers.  Unless sent out from their mailserver, SMTP
> traffic is rejected.

Well, you're on the right track using smarthost, I think.  What you need to do is
have your outgoing smtp talk to the Earthlink smtp server.  That's what typical mail
clients (e.g., Netscape, but not necessarily old Unix clients that expect a local
sendmail) do.  So you can configure your sendmail to go through Earthlink's smtp and
it will work.