[CLUE-Tech] Unix question

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Feb 15 09:05:54 MST 2002

jon b wrote:

> I need help from you guys.  Sorry I missed the meeting Tuesday!I just
> went and saw a SCO Opensystems 5 box tonight.  The owner only has a
> login that through scripting takes him to his main application and
> when exited logs him out.  The system has been freezing requiring a
> restart, and now encounters an error that requires reboot.  The error
> referrences COBOL & a VPD file but seems to only affect certain areas
> or module parts of his application.  SCSI hard drives and controller
> are being used.  System has a tape backup but they haven't been done
> for over three months (small office - no ongoing technical
> supervision).How can he "hack" the box to reset or get root access so
> a technican can help him with backups and such?  If necessary or
> desired, please do reply straight to me at jontheisguy at yahoo.com
> instead of through the list.

Well, do you have the install/boot disks?  If so, this might help:

http://www.aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec1.html#root_1

If you don't have boot disks, maybe this will help:

http://www.aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec1.html#downloadboot

If that doesn't help, check google for sco and boot and you'll find
other links.