[CLUE-Tech] Unix question

jon b jontheisguy at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 14 23:27:06 MST 2002

I need help from you guys.  Sorry I missed the meeting Tuesday!

I just went and saw a SCO Opensystems 5 box tonight.  The owner only has a
login that through scripting takes him to his main application and when
exited logs him out.  The system has been freezing requiring a restart, and
now encounters an error that requires reboot.  The error referrences COBOL &
a VPD file but seems to only affect certain areas or module parts of his
application.  SCSI hard drives and controller are being used.  System has a
tape backup but they haven't been done for over three months (small office -
no ongoing technical supervision).

How can he "hack" the box to reset or get root access so a technican can
help him with backups and such?  If necessary or desired, please do reply
straight to me at jontheisguy at yahoo.com instead of through the list.

Thanks in advance,
Jon Buttjer
new CLUEBIE