[CLUE-Tech] Oracle on Linux in production?

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Fri Feb 15 12:18:26 MST 2002

Jim Ockers wrote:

> ....  The things I'm concerned about
> are the ability to handle large files, large data sets, move large files
> around over the network, etc.  As you may know NFSv2 is still the default,
> I think, in the Linux kernel, and you can't copy more than 2GB files to or
> from any NFSv2 software.  NFSv3 is not in the 2.4 kernels yet, AFAIK.

I believe that NFS3 is now the default.  It is supported by the kernel.
I'm using it now.  The only problems I've had was that the default
transfer size for mounting a NFS3 exports is 32K.  On my network I had
to set my rsize/wsize mount options to 8K or the NFS connection would
lock up as soon as I tried to transfer anything of significant size.
I believe that 8k is the default transfer size for NFS2. (Our entire
network is supposed to be NFS3, so make of that what you will.)  Once
the transer size was stepped down, I've not had any problems.

Fwiw,

Lynn