[CLUE-Tech] Oracle on Linux in production?

Dan Harris coronadh at coronasolutions.com
Fri Feb 15 15:13:58 MST 2002

Well, I love linux and would generally be considered a Linux bigot.  But I'm also fairly proud of how well my SQLServer2000/W2k server performs.  It is in a mission critical environment and happily serves approx 1 million DB requests per day,  7 days a week, and has *only* been down for upgrades and service packs.  It's uptime rivals all of my linux servers.  I'm not a big MS fan in general, but SQL Server is a great product (probably because Sybase wrote a lot of it!).

Nonetheless, the achilles heel is that it only runs on Windows.  We are outgrowing the memory bandwidth of our quad Xeon Compaq box and needing to move into something like a Sun.  Of course that means I have to ditch SQL Server.  I'm currently investigating Sybase and PostgreSQL as alternatives.

I've been working with MS SQL since 4.2 (1993) and have always had excellent performance and reliability from it.

-Dan