[CLUE-Tech] KVM (Keyboard, Video, mouse) switch or ???? via Linux

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sat Feb 16 23:57:37 MST 2002

This can be done, of course.  Even better, though, is to configure the
kernel to send the console to the serial port.  I do this, so I can log
into my firewall machine via the serial port.  It does not run X, it has
no video card, keyboard, or mouse.  Lilo also sends it's info to the
serial port.  The only pain is the lack of access to the BIOS, but I
rarely need that.   I have 2 machines that run this way, and it is very
nice.  I could run X on them, to have that kind of access too, but I
don't feel the need for it.

As far as how to get X display, it is very easy if you use SSH, and turn on X11
forwarding.  It will 'just work'.  It can be done without SSH, but I
find it more of a pain.  I can do it with the 'xauth' and MIT magic
cookies.  (see the man page for Xauth).  If you are less security aware,
'xhosts +headles_machine' is even easier.  It could also be done via
XDM, so that some other X machine provides a dedicated, graphical login.
I have never been succesful at setting this up, though.  It is rather
invovled.

Tim