[CLUE-Tech] KVM (Keyboard, Video, mouse) switch or ???? via Linux

Jef Barnhart jef at batky-howell.com
Mon Feb 18 11:12:34 MST 2002

Kevin,

The way that I have done it in the past is to use X or Xnest. Xnest will "nest" an xsession inside of another x session. This will export the the whole desktop.

$ Xnest :1 -query HOSTNAME -geometry 1024x768
	(A resolution smaller than your normal is best.)

For just an X on another virtual console.

$ X :1 -query HOSTNAME

While this is not the best way to do this it is neet to do.

For just an application you can use ssh. If you have the server and client setup on both boxes then you can just run the application that you want to run.

$ ssh USER at HOSTNAME command

This one I use at work when I want to burn a cdrom.

Jef Barnhart^H^Hdt