[CLUE-Tech] Recommendations for Web Hosting?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Feb 19 12:59:19 MST 2002

Thus spoke Jed S. Baer
> I'm doing a website for a friend of mine, and could use some
> recommendations on good hosting companies. I've already googled it, and
> the sheer volume of hits I got would take quite a while to sort through.
> So, if anyone has any companies they recommend, I'd appreciate it.

I've used tummy.com for years now.  I don't know what your budget is or even
what their normal prices are, but I pay $150/month for full access to a Linux
server.  They manage backups, updates, and security and I get root access so
I can do pretty much whatever I want to make the server work.  They've even
made it pretty easy to add sub domains from your server.  I did this with my
wife's new domain just this week.  Very simple web interface for managing pop
accounts, even a web based email access facility so you can read mail while
on the road without having to download it.

They have their own Linux distribution - KRUD - based on Red Hat 7.x
(currently - they update as RH updates).  Good support.  Their upstream
provider has had a few problems over the years, but tummy keeps you informed
of such events and manages to get them cleared up pretty quickly.

DB's can be set up of your choice.  I use mSQL (which I installed myself) but
they can put MySQL and Postgres on their for you as well.

> I'd also like to use a Colorado company, if reasonable.

Tummy.com is headquartered in Ft. Collins and has been a constant support to
the Colorado Linux community for a number of years.

--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com