[CLUE-Tech] Recommendations for Web Hosting?

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 19 13:24:04 MST 2002

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> I'm doing a website for a friend of mine, and could use some
> recommendations on good hosting companies. I've already googled it, and
> the sheer volume of hits I got would take quite a while to sort through.
> So, if anyone has any companies they recommend, I'd appreciate it.

I use PHPWebHosting.com -- they're cheap ($9.95 a month) give
a decent amount of Web space and have MySQL/Perl/PHP and the
ability to set up mailing lists and unlimited email addresses.
They're also very responsive to requests.

Everything is done through Web forms and email, no phone support.
However, I've never had to wait more than one business day for
a response.

> The site will initially be just a few static pages, but will eventually
> need a database backend, and allow for data-entry and retrieval. So I'll
> need a database, and would prefer PostgreSQL to MySQL, because of the
> increased locking and subquery capabilities. Well, were money not an
> issue, I suppose I'd _really_ prefer Oracle ;-). At this point, I'm
> figuring on PHP for the web interface.
>
> I'd also like to use a Colorado company, if reasonable.

It's MySQL-based, sorry -- maybe there's another company that favors
PostgreSQL instead. I think I originally heard about them via a post
on Slashdot, and I've been very happy with them.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/