[CLUE-Tech] X and .login script

Mike mikeg at chisp.net
Tue Feb 19 21:25:03 MST 2002

Hello,

I've been trying to figure out a problem for a long time and have
decided to throw in the towel and ask for help. (I thought this would be
simple and plus it is only a minor annoyance.)

How do I configure my system to run the ~/.login script for the tcsh
shell when I login via X?

On this subject the tcsh man page reads:

     A login shell begins by executing commands from the system files
     /etc/csh.cshrc and /etc/csh.login. It then executes commands  from
     files in the user's home directory: first ~/.tcshrc (+) or, if
     ~/.tcshrc is not found, ~/.cshrc, then ~/.history (or the value of
     the histfile shell variable), then ~/.login, and finally ~/.cshdirs
     (or the value of the dirsfile shell variable) (+).  The shell may
     read /etc/csh.login before instead of after /etc/csh.cshrc, and
     ~/.login before instead of after ~/.tcshrc or ~/.cshrc and
     ~/.history, if so compiled; see the version shell variable.  (+)

And here is how my version shell variable is defined
tcsh 6.09.00 (Astron) 1999-08-16 (i386-intel-linux) options 8b,nls,dl,al,rh,color

Since the shell has not been compiled with the `lf' option then
according to the man page~/.login will execute after ~/.cshrc.

And it does when logging in from a text prompt. But ~/.login will not execute
if I login from X.

Can somebody please tell me what I'm sure is an incredibly easy solution
to this problem.

Thanks,
Mike